Contact Us For A Consultation
302-644-7181 Lewes
302-697-4900 Camden

Transferring a guardianship to a new state

At times, a guardianship in Delaware may have to be transferred to another state. Before this can happen, the guardian is required to petition the court in Delaware for the transfer. After a hearing is held on the petition, the court in Delaware will grant a provisional transfer as long as the court is satisfied that the transfer will also be granted in the other state.

Before approving the petition for a transfer of guardianship, the court in Delaware will also have to ensure that a few requirements are met. One of these requirements is that the incapacitated person is either already living in the other state or is expected to move to the other state on a permanent basis. The petition will not be approved if an objection was made to the transfer, and the transfer was not found to be in the best interests of the incapacitated person. A sufficient plan for the care of the incapacitated person must also be established before the transfer is approved.

After the petition for transfer of guardianship is provisionally approved in Delaware, the court in Delaware will direct the guardian to petition the court in the other state. If the petition is approved in the other state, the court in the other state will also issue a provisional acceptance of the transfer. This order will then be sent to the court in Delaware, and the final order of transfer will be issued.

A person who is serving as guardian for an incapacitated person may decide to seek help petitioning the court for a transfer of guardianship from an estate planning attorney. If any problems arise during this process, an attorney may be able to work with the courts in both states to resolve them.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

What Our Clients Say About Us…

My wife and I would like to take this opportunity to highly recommend the legal practice of Bonnie Benson and her very professional staff… Bonnie and her staff are organized, engaged in the client's case and they communicate effectively.

Read More
Latest Blogs
Get The Help Now

Need Answers Now? Contact Us Immediately

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

your success. our commitment. elder counsel excellence in elder law  and special needs state bar delaware association

Camden Office
306 East Camden Wyoming Avenue
Camden, DE 19934

Phone: 302-697-4900
Fax: 302-697-4901
Camden Law Office Map

Lewes Office
33718 B Wescoats Road
Lewes, DE 19958

Phone: 302-644-7181
Fax: 302-644-7182
Lewes Law Office Map

We Accept visa mastercard discover network
Review Us