Elder law continues to be a growing need for Delaware residents

As Baby Boomers here in Delaware and elsewhere near retirement age, the need for long-term care has increased. This is just one reason why the area of elder law continues to grow. Not only are more people planning what will happen to their property after they die, but they are also planning for the possibility that they will need to have funds available for some type of long-term health care.

You might need to set up a living trust in order to keep your income at a level that would entitle you to government assistance for the payment of your health care needs. That same trust could support your spouse, if any, when the time comes. Powers of attorney for health care and financial/property issues can provide you with a trusted person or persons who will make decisions on your behalf that are in line with how you would like things to be done.

The more issues that are taken care ahead of time, the less confusion, worry and chaos you will have when the time comes that you need assistance. Planning for the possibility of entering a nursing home and/or being unable to make decisions alone might not be pleasant, but it is needed in order to protect you and your family. Without advance preparations, your family will be forced to go to court to obtain the right to act on your behalf. Furthermore, failing to have a plan for paying for long-term care could result in not receiving the benefits you deserve and/or putting an unnecessary financial obligations on family members.

For some people, the prospect of going into a nursing home is worse than dying, but with careful planning, at least some of that anxiety could be alleviated. Therefore, it would be a good idea to talk to a Delaware elder law attorney regarding your current financial situation, along with where you would like to be in terms of long-term care. Understanding what your estate planning goals are in this area might also help in choosing the appropriate person or persons to make decisions on your behalf should you be unable to do so.



FindLaw Network