What to look for in a guardian for your underage kids

Ensuring the well-being of your underage children is an important responsibility, and selecting a suitable guardian is part of this task.

When contemplating potential guardians for your kids, you should consider several factors.

Stability and reliability

Did you know that only 46% of people have created a will, but if you have underage children, you need a will that designates a guardian? The first thing you should do is look for stable, reliable individuals. Your chosen guardian should be responsible and have a steady job and a stable living situation.

Emotional connection

Consider the emotional connection your children have with potential guardians. Assess your children’s existing relationships and determine if there is a genuine connection that fosters trust and a sense of security and comfort.

Parenting philosophy

Discuss and understand the potential guardian’s parenting philosophy. While it is natural for parenting styles to differ, finding someone whose approach aligns with your values and principles can contribute to a smoother transition for your children.

Health and lifestyle

Evaluate the health and lifestyle of potential guardians. Choose individuals who prioritize a healthy lifestyle and can provide a safe environment for your kids. This includes considerations such as a smoke-free home, a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Support system

A strong support system is important for effective child-rearing. Look for guardians who have a network of family and friends, as this can provide additional emotional and practical support. A well-rounded support system can contribute significantly to your children’s overall well-being.

Financial stability

While it is not necessary for potential guardians to be wealthy, they should have a secure financial situation that allows them to meet the basic needs of your children without undue strain.

Choose guardians who prioritize open and transparent communication. Then, discuss important matters regarding your children with them.



FindLaw Network